Tuesday 22 April 2014

A Peek Into the Past

Who would have thought that looking back into the past could be so much fun? With fabulous music, fantastic dancing, flashy fashion and fast cars; welcome to the Kurri Kurri Nostalgia Festival.

I experienced my very first Nostalgia Festival in 2013, celebrating its 10th birthday! The festival spans over three days, Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. Kurri Kurri is a small town that lies between Maitland and Cessnock in New South Wales, Australia. The Nostalgia Festival attracts many tourists to the area each and every year. Over 40,000 festival goers attended last year! Yowsers!


Last year, for me, it was mostly about the car show. My granddad owned the most wonderful
FB Holden (in pink and white no less!). I was sad to see her go the day she was sold, but seeing some of these classics brought back memories.

Some lucky people own the most amazing heritage cars.

A lot of hard work goes into restoring, painting (and in some cases, modifying) these vintage beauties! Of course this purple and flame hot rod is a total winner for me

I went with my mum on the Sunday, which is generally the biggest day for the festival. More cars exhibit on this day than Saturday. The day was sweltering hot and humid! I regret wearing my hair out - whew! There was so much to see, but in the end, being hot and sticky meant that we didn't stay as long as we probably would have. I'm wearing a 1950's Kamehameha dress with orchid prints that I picked up on Etsy. Mum is wearing a sweet summery dress by the Aussie brand Retrospec'd. To check out their amazing collection, click here. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Retrospec'd dresses were genuine vintage! They really look the part.


Skip forward to 2014: This year I found my courage and participated in the best dressed competition (it's amazing what a little Dutch courage can do!). There were three categories: the Junior category, Traditional and Miss Modern Day. I entered in the Traditional category, hands a-sweatin' and knees a-shakin'!

I'm wearing a 1950's backless dress by Sun Fashions Hawaii. This is one of my most favourite dresses in my entire vintage collection. The craftsmanship of this dress is superb! The gathered waistline clips together at the back using hooks to hold you in, all nice and snug (Look ma, no bra!).  I also wore handcrafted hair flowers by the one and only Lady Rowe. You can buy her amazing pieces here - you'll thank me later! Did I place? Not a chance, ha ha! At the end of the best dressed parade, I was lucky enough to have my photo taken with the super sweet Cherry Dollface! She told me I looked gorgeous, and that she loved my dress. Now THAT'S what I call a win!

On day two, I was purely there to check out the fashion, see the car show, hang with my bro and listen to some good music. I can check all of those boxes! Some happy snaps below from the Sunday.
Sunday Funday. Mixing and matching prints as inspired by a wonderful Facebook friend. I'm wearing the Heart of Haute Marilyn tee and Wheels and Dollbaby Le Chic Skirt in La Pin-up print. Both colourways for my tee and skirt are no longer available but you can check out Heart of Haute and Wheels and Dollbaby for the same cuts in different colourways. Bro is wearing the Chaos Western button up by Steady Clothing, available here. Also, check out the sweet, sweet Holden classic cars! Yes, they match my outfit. Yes, that was planned for the pictures :) 

The Kurri Kurri Nostalgia Festival is held in late March and it is a great day out for everyone; I'll definitely be heading there next year!

Happy Tuesday x






No comments:

Post a Comment